- Other Issues (accessibility, and shortcomings in flash in general)
Several competing open
implementations. Additionally, an open source JVM-based interpreter exists from
Most flex applications require several hundred pre-compressed kilobytes of uncacheable data to be downloaded for each component (and many components may exist on the page). The web server will NOT compress Flash executables before sending them over the wire.
Each flash executable runs as a separate browser process with a
browser as a part of the page's content. For this reason, it is likely
that Flash will tend to run slower, although a direct comparison of
execution is impossible.
Coupling 10-100x (after compression) larger page loads with a separate
VM instance for each flash component, Flex-based interfaces are almost
assured to be noticeably slower to load and run than browser-based
flex is chosen, all of the shortcomings of flex are exposed.
on the same elements to best support the features necessary for the
Platform Features And Ease of Development
- Form/Password managers are not supported for Flash.
- Browser shortcuts such as ctrl-tab are not supported in Flash.
- Screen Readers for the blind are poorly supported in Flash.
- Middle-click and mouse scrolling do not always work in Flash.
- Search engines poorly index Flash content (google is Good, Bing and Ask.com do not).