Here's how to install that dumb .exe file Dell ships for new Bios's in Ubuntu (or any Debian Linux). These directions should easily be altered for any Linux by changing the first apt-get command as long as libsmbios-bin and wine are available for that platform.
- sudo apt-get install libsmbios-bin wine
- getSystemId will give you everything you need to know about your machine and current BIOS.
- Download the most recent BIOS upgrade for your system from http://support.dell.com as you would if using Windows
- wine O755-A17.exe -writehdrfile will extract the .hdr file containing the Bios upgrade program.
- sudo modprobe dell_rbu will load the dell_rbu driver
- dellBiosUpdate –u –f hdrFileName.hdr --reboot will begin the upgrade process and reboot the machine to finish.